Sunday, September 28, 2014

Ello there

After a few weeks of waiting, I finally managed to get a coupon code for beta access to the new "Facebook" that everyone's been talking about: Ello.

Interface

The interface is clean--really clean.  I feel like I'm staring at a white canvas compared to the abstract mosaic we are all too familiar with on Facebook. The grayscale colour scheme and smooth animations are so attractive that I often spend my time playing with them.

The Ello Omnibar
On the site, there is a sidebar that is basically hidden from view until you want to bring it up, thus bringing more attention to the content you actually want to see.

Community

The community that you find and follow on Ello is split up into groups: Friends and Noise. 

Friends

Friends are the group of people that you care about the most.  For example, while searching through the Ello community I found a user that posts gif animations called @super_fresh.  Putting him in the friends group allows me to see his posts in more detail than if I were to put him in the Noise group (as I will explain in the next section).  

Friends Feed--on the left are the people in your friends group

Noise

Noise is the group you place everyone else in.  Noise is given in a grid-flow style allowing you to quickly scan over posts. 
Noise Feed--on the left are the people in your noise group


Conclusion

Ello isn't complete though, there are many more features to be added (such as private accounts and video integration) so I can't really write a intensive review on it. So far though, it seems that Ello has a lot of potential for the future. 

Comment to get an Invite

Just comment below saying "I want one!" and you'll be entered for a chance to win one of two coupon codes! Use Google+ so I can message you in the future!

The Contest is now over.  Congratulations to the winners and subscribe or follow for more competitions in the future!


5 comments: