Saturday, March 28, 2015

Hey, What Happened to the Bridge?

Imagine this. You're taking a drive down to your friends house and you see there's a bridge that could take you directly to their neighbourhood. You ignore the GPS, which does not recognize it as a legal road, and turn right. You smile. You look up ahead to see the road slowly disappear, piece by piece. You slow to a stop, your smile fades, you look around for signs saying the bridge is unfinished. You could have missed them (you've been driving for a long time so you might be tired). Nope, there isn't one. There never was one. There never will be one. That bridge was started years ago, and hasn't been touched since.

That's how I see unfinished work: a bridge that's supposed to serve some sort of purpose, but after all that hard work and getting people's hopes up, is forgotten because something better and perhaps easier came along. A Twitch game developer would stream everyday and I'd watch him code and create this amazing rpg with a 2D art style that I loved. I come back one day to find him on another project. He said he didn't know when he would get back to the one that made me follow him in the first place. I left the stream—his work no longer inspired me (recently he's started working on the original game again).
Friends of mine come up with ideas for apps that could "change the world". One got me really excited, I told them what we'd have to do and I prepared to invest some time in it. The following week they came up with another idea. I grew irritated, and ignored them as they talked about it. They thought of a new idea every couple weeks, but none were as good as the first. They lost faith in the idea they had before (one I am kind of still hung up on).

image from Commit Strip
I'm not saying that I never used to be that way. I was. If you could see all of the unfinished games that I had developed or incomplete books I wrote as a kid you would be calling me a hypocrite. Notice I said "kid" though—I was 12 and impatient. Since then I've learned to devote myself to something when I say I am going to be devoted to it. For the past while I've been working on a project that started in January, I told myself it would be online by the beginning of February, but other things have gotten in the way of me meeting each deadline. I've decided to start making smaller goals for the project, that way I still feel motivated to do it often. That way I won't risk driving people off of bridges.

No comments:

Post a Comment