Saturday, February 7, 2015

Facts and Fiction

It's been a long time since I last wrote anything.  Story-wise that is. You see, as a child I would have all these great things to write.  I had a series called Nick's Random Short Stories.  I would write in these blank paged books that my aunt had given me (I had four of them) and I believe I managed to write enough to fill up two of them.

But now I look at my writing and wonder if it's good enough.  You see, I just want for my characters to be completely authentic. But unfortunately authenticity comes directly from experience.  Either you study someone who is your inspiration for a character or you study yourself and recount all your experiences.  I have a wild imagination, but there's the factual side of me that keeps saying, "this can't be right. You don't know this for certain, Nick".


And It's true, I don't know for certain whether or not being dumped feels like being hit by a wrecking ball, nor the lucidity of LSD or any related hallucinogenic drug (not even sure that I want to understand either).

But I'm going to start trying to get back into it, and ignore the side of me that doubts my empathic abilities. Hopefully I can go back to the kid who would write short stories and not think as he wrote them. But just write. That would be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment