Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Information Systems and Code Night

The scent of pizza drifted through the air of the room.  I sat down, phone in my hand, waiting for the presentation to start.  Upon having entering the room I was slightly taken aback. I hadn't expected people to be wearing suits, and wondered if I was in the right room or if my school sweater and blue jeans would be interpreted as too casual.  Fortunately, I was not the only one who was underdressed and I quickly realized that the AIS (Association for Information Systems) was less focused on programming and design, and more focused on the business aspect--that or they wanted to make a superb first impression on us.
A woman in her fourth year of university (let's call her Veronica) stood at the front of the room and spoke from behind a podium.  She and the other five members introduced themselves. The slide show began.  The mission statement was stated. The events were listed. The slide show ended. Veronica proceeded to inviting us to have some of the pizza and water at the front of the room and sign up for a membership. After signing up for a membership, I briefly spoke with the association's VP of Technology about getting a Linked In account and departed.

AIS Slide Show
About one hour later, I was walking through the double doors of a study room located in a building shared between the college and the university. The room was arranged in the form of a small boardroom with a table rounded around the perimeter and a projector screen at the front. I was greeted by on the executives of the association, a man in his third year of university. Let's call him Jerry. I was one of the first to arrive--I was bored and decided to come a few minutes early to the 7:00 PM event.
During the event, I was approached by another man. His name, let's say, was Andrew.  "Are you good at mobile development?" He asked me and having published a game and an app on the App Store I said yes.  He then started rubbing his eye and lifted his eyelid. "Do you see anything in my eye because..." magically he pulled a loony from under his eyelid and I was, for the second time that night, taken aback. He told me about an idea he had and asked if I was skilled at image processing. I shook my head, we talked for a bit longer, and he left to find someone else to help him. As he spoke to the people sitting adjacent to me, I pulled up Google and typed in "image tracking programming".  A video tutorial came up, and I watched it. I then decided that by the end of the week (Sunday) I want to be able to remove the background of an image which is hopefully the simplest thing to do in image processing so I can get a feel for it.

I went back to my residence with 2 goals to complete by the end of the week: get a Linked In account and gain a simple understanding of image processing.  Once again, this is The Daily Programmer. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment