Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Web that Connects us All

The possibilities that the internet has provided us with has always interested me.  Just by opening my web browser, I can talk to someone from Japan, find people of similar interests, and experience a world that was before locked away from me. The internet has made me laugh, cry, and provided me with information that I would never have had without it. 

The sad thing, though, is that the internet has been abused by so many people.  From the government to criminals utilizing the deep web, the internet’s benevolent uses have been overshadowed by the ability of others to steal our information and potentially harm us. 

Let’s start with the government.  It is known that countless times in the past the government has approached large internet companies such as Twitter and Facebook and demanded that they hand over their user information.  Few companies have said no, even with the large amount of money the government was willing to pay. Ello, for example, said in an e-mail recently sent to its users: “…Ello exists for your benefit, and will never show ads or sell user data.”. 

Now this brings into the problem of internet anonymity. Should anonymity be preserved, or should the rest of the world be forced into proclaiming who they are just as Facebook’s name policy was trying to enforce (they changed it back to the old one though). The consequences of removing this would be detrimental to the lives of many people.  From an anonymous group of alcoholics receiving help on the internet, or the closeted adolescent searching for someone to talk to out of fear of their parents disowning them. The emotional support that the internet can provide is a great thing, and I’d hate for that to go away. 


photo credits to: russelggarza
Then there’s a section of the internet that completely abuses the anonymity that the internet provides: the deep web. The deep web is a section of the internet completely closed off from the general public.  In order to access it you must make use of special software—and use of it is completely untraceable.  Those who have made use of this anonymous connection include hackers, weapons dealers, and hit-men. This, to me, is extremely disturbing—and a complete misuse of what allows me to convey my thoughts to other like I am now.  


Naturally, I hope that the fears of the internet, and the great caution that must be used will be lowered. Until then, I’ll spend my time watching funny YouTube videos and learn about the technology I hope to transform in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment